7 Human Foods that Are Toxic to Dogs

So, you want to share a snack with your dog—but what if the food is something that could be harmful to them? That’s why it’s important to know exactly what foods are toxic to your pets. This article lists seven common household food items that could negatively impact your pooch’s health if ingested.  


Chocolate contains ingredients called theobromine and caffeine, which can cause heart issues and agitation in dogs. Several other ingredients in chocolate can cause serious symptoms, including vomiting and diarrhea. These symptoms can range from mild to severe, depending on the type of chocolate ingested and the dog’s size. In some cases, chocolate ingestion can cause death.

Coffee and Tea

Both coffee and tea contain caffeine, which can cause agitation and heart issues in dogs. Caffeine can also cause elevated body temperature, restlessness, vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, and seizures.

Grapes and Raisins

The consumption of grapes or raisins has been known to cause kidney failure in dogs. Not all dogs, however, are affected by grapes or raisins; however, it’s best to keep these food items away from your furry friend. 


Avocados, as well as their leaves, seeds, and bark, may contain persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. While it’s a healthy fruit for humans to consume, don’t make the mistake of giving your pet a bite. 

Macadamia Nuts

Macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs. Only a small amount needs to be ingested to cause problems for your dog. The signs of macadamia nut toxicity include weakness, muscle tremors, loss of coordination, and seizures. Dogs can also develop gastrointestinal distress from eating macadamia nuts.


The active ingredient in garlic is allicin, which is a sulfur-containing compound that has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties. Garlic has been used to help treat heartworm disease and flea infestations in dogs and cats, but it can cause vomiting and diarrhea if eaten in large amounts by your pet. 

Alcoholic Beverages

Alcoholic beverages are not safe for pets because they can cause serious problems with their central nervous system, such as coma or even death, if consumed in large quantities over time.